This is my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. It’s from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri.
Makes 18 Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate (cut into pieces)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- **Optional** 1 teaspoon ground coffee to intensify flavor
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F
- Stir the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Put the cut-up chocolate in a large mixing bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Let stand for 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Whisk in the butter, then the eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and sour cream.
- Whisk in the four and sugar mixture in 3 separate additions, whisking until smooth after each.
- Divide the batter equally among the cavities in the pans, spooning it in. Bake the cupcakes until they are well risen and deep golden, and feel firm when pressed in the center with a fingertip, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pans on racks for 5 minutes, then unmold, turn right side up again, and cool completely on racks.